swiss-list: Renewal of H1-B in the US - switching Visa status

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 17:43:11 +0100

Hi there,
you all got me worried with the discussion of issuing a new Visa. I will
have my Visa status changed from a J-1 to an H1-B while I am here in the
US but I will have to go back to Switzerland for a week in Sept. At this
point I will have a H1-B issued here in the US but in my passport there
will still be the (by then invalid) J1 sticker, which means that I will
have to go to the embassy in Bern and get the new sticker. Does that now
mean it also takes 6-8 weeks to get this done??? Do I need a interview
at the embassy now even though the US have approved and issued the new
Visa? Anyway to fasten up this process, since I only intend to stay in
Switzerland for 10 days!!
Thanks
Claudia