swiss-list: Renewal of H-1 visa at the embassy in Bern

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 18:27:04 -0500

Sooner or later I will have to renew my existing H-1 visa at the embassy in
Bern. Comming off a talk with an immigration laywer, who told me some
disturbing stories about processing times for H-1 visa, I was wondering if
anyone has some recent experiences (within the last 3 months or so). The laywer
talked about 3 months delays for some of her clients, which were forced to stay
in Switzerland during the time. I would like to have some other hands-on
experiences. What are the current processing times for getting an appointment
at the embassy in Bern, as well as for getting the visa stamped into the
passport, etc. Are there any specific areas of interest that might cause
delays? Any advice what might speed up things when renewing/extending an
existing visa?

Michael