swiss-list: RE: Buying a house in the USA using Swiss money

From: Christian Ter-Nedden <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 07:41:08 -0700

A tricky subject. We just bought a condo using US funds from my fiancees
family.

What I would probably do is treat the two financial transactions separately.
Therefore, I would get the Erbvorbezug (with all the legal documents this
entails) onto a Swiss bank account; transfer it into an American account and
use it as a downpayment or pay fully for the house.

Houses are sold "for cash" all the time here.

Talk to your financial adviser about the tax issues concerning this.

I'm sure you can add your parents onto the title of the property.

Christian Ter-Nedden, Fullerton, California