Re: swiss-list: J1 extension: thanks and follow-up

From: Michel Studer <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 12:22:16 -0500

Hello,

I had a pretty bad experience with this in january: First, having an
extension meens that you have to ask for a new visa, pay the fee again
(which has increased because of "war against terrorism") and fill in
all the forms (they added a couple of new ones, so you have to give
names and addresses of all your familiy and two contacts in the US,
tell them everything about your foreign travels in the last 10 years
and give many informations about your position in the army. More than I
had to tell when I went to a communist country in 88, but don't tell
anybody!). It takes some time, so be prepared... Furthermore, your
university has to put you in the new electronic file system (ISEAS).
This was forgotten by my university, which allowed me to stay a little
longer in Switzerland...
If everything is ok, and if your paid the fee in advance (at the
post-office), it is possible to fill in the forms in the morning and
pick up your passport in the late afternoon. Your don't need a
appointment, just to be patient... Good luck!

Michel Studer