swiss-list: Automobile Taxes Question

From: Vaughn G. Hysinger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 09:24:07 -0800

BACKGROUND:
I shipped a car purchased in the US to Switzerland a couple of years ago.
While in Switzerland I drove with the 'Z' plate (Indicating I didn't have to
pay taxes or import duties on the car). Last September I shipped the car
back to the Bay Area. The reasons for shipping back were varied but
included things like difficulty in selling a US car (Has miles, not km; has
US safety standards, not Swiss, etc.) but one of the main reasons was the
import tax I would have had to pay to get a non-Z plate (Giving me
permission to sell the vehicle if I wanted to).

PROBLEM:
I have believed that it would be better for me to purchase a car in
Switzerland in May/June when I next return. But I'm having second thoughts.
Given the difference between what one pays for a car in Switzerland and what
one can purchase a car in the states (even with the shipping charges) I'm
wondering if it might be cheaper to buy a car here in the states, ship it to
Switzerland and pay the Import Duties. The Import Duties becomes the
critical issue here.

QUESTION:
Now the question. Since I don't speak or read German (or Swiss-German) does
anyone know how much the import taxes would be (per cent) if I purchased a
car in the states and shipped it to CH? Would it be only the 7.6% sales tax
or something else? This is in the Bern Canton. I also understand there is
a different rate whether it is a new or used car and I'm sure there are
other 'gotchas'.
In lieu of having the answer an e-mail address into the "Bern Import
Automobile Hierarchy" would be helpful.

Thanks muchly.

Vaughn G. Hysinger
vaughn_at_sgstrading.com