Re: swiss-list: Webhost

From: Roger Meier <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:00:32 -0800

Nico,

I have been using http://www.cheapwebhost.us for my website, and I have been
very happy with them. The cheapest plan costs less than $2 a month, and it
includes 50Mb diskspace and 1Gb transfer per month. You also get unlimited
e-mail accounts, i.e. you can setup e-mail accounts for your whole family.
If you want your own domain name they can register it for you, which costs
about $1 a month ($11.95/year).

I'm also using my site for my publications, resume, etc.. I also have a
private, password protected, section with photos for my friends and family.
Cheapwebhosts.us lets you do all that. You'll get full control over your
services via their Control Panel 'CPanel', which is a secure website. Pretty
neat and easy to use.

As far as software, I would recommend Microsoft FrontPage since this
provider supports FrontPage such that it lets you upload your website file
directly out of FrontPage. I haven't used this feature myself, since moved
my already finished website from somewhere else. I made my page with Claris
HomePage, but I'm not sure that software still exists.

If you want to shop around yourself, go to http://www.findmyhosting.com,
which is an excellent service for finding webhosting. Make sure you search
for services that are 'Hosting assured' classified. Each provider has a
rating based on customer surveys.
I found my provider through findmyhosting.com.

I would not consider using a free webhosting service. I checked a few of
them out. They are usually very slow, and all your web pages get filled with
either banner ads or popups. For only a few bucks a month you can get the
same thing without any ads and much faster. People will appreciate this a
lot.

Good luck

Roger