RE: swiss-list: J1 2 year rule waiver cont.

From: cf <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 21:52:25 -0500

Dear Christian

>From what you said, you should not have been subjected to the 2 year rules.
>What you can do: ask for an "advisory opinion" to the ISIA (United States
>Information Agency - Washington D.C. 20547-0001) explaining your situation.
>They will tell you if you need a waiver or not.

Here's a typical letter:

I am writing for an advisory opinion in regards to 212-e. As a citizen of ... I
had obtained a fellowship from .... (different country). Thus, it appears that
there was no governement fund involved in the programm. etc... (and sent copies
of all relevant documents, proof of nationality, letters from your university,
etc..)

Otherwise you should get a letter from your *own* governement, and then process
for a waiver which might take longer than getting an advisroy opinion.

Enjoy the ride and Viel Spass!
Cecile Favre