swiss-list: RE: swiss-list: NZZ Online: «Braindrain» aus der Schweiz gibt es nicht

From: Michael Rys <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 10:51:14 -0800

While his analysis is correct, I think he misses the point. The point is not
the "flow of brains", the problem is that certain types of "brain-oriented"
jobs are not available in Switzerland or seem to be disappearing. Examples are
research and development like jobs in hardware, software, biotech (there are
some successful companies in each area, but not enough).

Another, related problem is that certain entrepreneurial frameworks were and/or
are not present in Switzerland to foster the creation of such jobs.

This is somewhat scary, given that the "brain"-related resources are one of
Switzerland's most valuable "resources".

Having said that, I am not sure I agree that this form of "brain-drain" is a
bad thing. It is just economics and game theory at play (pun intended). If the
Swiss society thinks that they do not need or cannot sustain enough such
workplaces, then - as long as they let me work where I want - I have no
problem. I certainly continue to enjoy my trips home to ski and relax (and
potentially retire).

Best regards
Michael