swiss-list: J1-2 year rule applies

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 01:03:53 GMT

Hi!

I am French and made my PhD at ETH Zurich. I applied for a post-doc scholarship
from the Swiss National fund, and got it to work here at the US Geological
Survey, Menlo Park, CA (and guess on what subject... yes, on earthquake
mechanics!).

The 2-year rule applies to my J1 visa (it's written on it) but I fail to
understand why, since I would have no living/working permit to go back to
Switzerland, and France didn't pay a dime for my education. Are there other
people on the list in this situation? non-swiss people who came here on swiss
money and have a J1 visa?

Thanks for any info you could provide.

Delphine.