Re: swiss-list: Moving back: Container to CH / Customs / Taxes / Car

From: Prof. A. Bernstein <click for textversion of email address >
Date: 20 Jan 2003 16:20:09 +0100

Hi

I did just move back my car a few months ago. Here are my answers:

1) Get a cost estimate from a few firms. My cost was door to door and
quite a bit higher. Note that it might pay to have a good company, as
things can get lost! A friend of mine just waited two (2) months more
than expected because their goods were cruising the world!

2) The only customs I had to clear was on the Swiss end. Actually, if
you move back almost everything is free of customs, assuming you have
lived abroad for a while (for which you seem to qualify). Note that you
have to have owned you car for at least x months (and I doe not recall
what x was precisely, but definitely more than 6).

3) Yes, and no. Things can arrive in CH before you are registered. They
will only be able to clear customs for free when you have taken
residence. For that purpose even a rental agreement or property
ownership record is needed!!!

4) You will be able to get your car insured (while still having the US
license plates) assuming you move back to CH. In the Canton of Zurich
(other places may have different rules) you can do so for 11 months
after YOUR (not the car's) entry to Switzerland. Some insurance
companies will insure the cars even though it has foreign plates, but
typically you have to speak to somebody who knows that this is possible.
Most agents think its not possible. I am insured through Zueritel and
have heard from people who are with the Basler. If you want specifics
then send me email!
Also, note that you will eventually have to get your car approved in CH
(within the 11 months). In most cases the car will not be approved in
Switzerland and not be built to European standards. So you will have to
import it as so called Type X meaning it will be a unique vehicle type
in Switzerland. It will still have to be in accordance to Swiss
standards and will be tested by the DMV in the Canton.
In my case (1997 Honda Civic EX Sedan) the garage found a Swiss car with
the same engine but the body type is not being sold in CH. Apart from
giving it a good service (like cleaning the engine, as people at DMV's
don't like dirty fingers) the car passed with one exception - the
standing lights had to be changed from yellow to white at about CHF 200.

Regards and good luck,

Avi