Re: swiss-list: english classes

From: Leonore Wigger <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 18:33:49 -0800 (PST)

Richard,

only the TOEFL is an English test. The others are
tests on general knowledge for students to get into
college or university programs.

You can find out everything about the TOEFL on this
website:

http://www.toefl.org

You can order their bulletin, which contains
instructions and locations of test centers, at this

However, all this information is just for taking the
test. The TOEFL organization offers only self-study
materials, but no classes. (Other organizations will
offer preparation classes for the TOEFL).

I'd say this test is worth taking only if you have
been asked to take it for getting into a school or for
an employer.

If your goal is to improve your English, studying for
the TOEFL isn't the best choice.

In my experience, large North American cities have
good resources for immigrants to learn English. Often
they are cheap. Look for the term "ESL" (= "English
as a second language" -- whoever coined tham term
didn't realize that for so many of us, English is the
third or fourth language...)

A good place to look are community colleges / city
colleges.

If your goal is to get into a university, the
admissions office will (hopefully) tell you which
tests you need to take. Again, I would do a web search
for each test, and you will be able to find out
everything you need to know.

There is a famous company, Kaplan, that offers
preparation courses for all these tests nationwide.
But I don't think it offers courses in North Carolina.

Good luck,
Leonore
San Francisco