Re: swiss-list: Importing a car from AZ to CA

From: Michael Rudolf <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:13:15 -0800

Hi

we moved two years ago from Chicago, IL to San Diego, CA. We had no
problems with either the car nor my motorcycle. Very important is an
in-state smog check, but almost every garage can do that for you. Make sure
you have all the necessary paperwork with you, then schedule an appointment
at the DMV and plan on spending some time there (it took us essentially
half a day to pass the inspection etc.). Papers needed are title and
current license (or if you buy the car on a loan the loan papers and sales
contract), your identification papers (passport or drivers license, if you
have an American one), and smog check. The additional paperwork you need to
fill out can be download from the DMV web page. Helpful are sometimes
utility bills or anything that proofs you live at the address you state,
just in case someone wants to see anything like that.
Once you pass the inspections of your papers your car will have to pass a
visual inspection, which essentially means they check your VIN number,
brake lights and turn signals. That's what they call a safety inspection
(sic). If the car is in good shape or fairly new they do not even bother to
look carefully. When they could not find the emission labels on my bike,
well what the heck, they ticked off the box and let me pass anyway.

anyway, very simple process, no problems. Still I highly recommend an
appointment at the DMV otherwise you will face even longer lines at the
DMV. Additionally there is no rush, really. We waited for 4 months until
our IL plates expired before we went to get the CA plates. No one ever
questioned anything or asked anything about the 30 days.

Good luck

Michael