swiss-list: Importing a car from AZ to CA

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 10:40:19 GMT

Good morning everyone!

My wife and I will be moving to California shortly. We will spend Xmas in
Arizona, are planning to buy our car there and then drive it to CA. (I am being
told that cars are massively cheaper in AZ than in CA).

I have checked out the Website of the DMV in California and importing seems
pretty straight forward: "do it within 30 days, meet all our standards, pay
tax."

I would be very much interested to learn if anyone on the Swiss List has
imported a car to California from an other state. (I found some messages in the
archive about importing to/from Switzerland but not state-to-state). So if you
have imported a car to CA from another state, would you mind telling me what
you went through?

Thanks
Cornelius