Re: swiss-list: moving from Switzerland to Las Vegas

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:13:19 +0000

I agree with others that looking for a job right now might not be a great idea.
I got married to an American last year, and even though at the time I was
employed under a J-1 visa and could potentially prove that I could support my
own self, the INS is only interested to know if your visa sponsor can support
you.

I seem to remember though that my husband only needed to prove that his income
was slightly above the poverty level. Have him get all the necessary documents
to fill in (and there are many of them), and check for all the details of what
is required from him. Mainly he would have to provide a copy of his tax
statements over the last two or three years.

Finally, if you have doubts about the outcome of your greencard application, I
would strongly encourage him to go talk to a lawyer. I would bet that he could
get a pretty good recommendation for a immigration lawyer at the Immigration
service department for students at the University of Nevada, Las Vegas (or
however the University calls this). They deal with immigration issues all the
time and usually have their favorite lawyer. That helps a lot to make sure that
you are not forgetting any detail that could be very important.

Madeleine