Re: swiss-list: bank account/Amercian checks in Switzerland

From: Remi Mommsen <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:43:27 -0800

Hi Natalie,

On Friday, November 15, 2002, at 10:28 AM, schweiz9_at_hei.unige.ch wrote:

> Hi everybody:
>
> I have some questions concerning a longer stay of a U.S. citizen in
> Switzerland - does perhaps someone know:
>
> 1.if opening up an ‘Postfinance’-account is possible for a U.S.
> citizen?
> 2. if it is possible to desposite checks from Bank of America (at Swiss
> banks/Postfinance)?
> 3. if there is another - easier/cheaper – way to get (smaller amounts
> of) money
> from the States to Switzerland?
>
> Thank you for suggestions,
> Natalie Schweizer

I don't know about point 1 (Postfinance will give you the most reliable
answer.)

I used to get my paychecks from the US while I was still in
Switzerland. I could deposit them on my USD account on the Credit
Suisse. The fee was 10CHF per check and it took about 10 days until it
was validated. My experience is that wire transfer from Switzerland to
the US is much more expensive (about 40USD). I don't know if that
applies for the other way round as well.

My two cents (-;

Cheers,
                Remi

I haven't lost my mind - it's backed up on my disk somewhere.

Remigius K. Mommsen e-mail: mommsen_at_slac.stanford.edu
University of California, Irvine URL: http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC voice: ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35 mobile: ++1 (650) 387-1402
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US fax: ++1 (650) 926-8522