RE: swiss-list: Family based immigration visa - seeking info about interview

From: Cornelius Fichtner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 20:42:54 +0100

Hi all

I posted the message below about 20 days ago and have received many replies
from swiss-list readers. Thanks. I had my interview today and as these
messages get archived would like to give a quick recap of it:

Well, it was a breeze. We arrived at 9am at the embassy and handed over all
our documents. We waited for about 45 minutes and were called in for the
interview. My wife had to sign the I864 (affidavit of support) document in
front of the consul and was asked to leave. The consul then asked me several
"technical" questions concerning the information I had filled into the
forms: "So, you have never lived anywhere outside Switzerland for more than
6 months?" - "The visa that you are applying for is in fact a permanent
immigrant visa and not just for visiting, right?" - "Have you ever had any
dealings with US immigration offices before?" - "Do you swear that the
information provided is correct?" and "Please sign here."

That was it and the interview was done. 5 minutes, no more. No personal
question whatsoever. She didn't even look at many of the supporting original
documents (bank, insurance or lease) that we had been asked to bring. The
only annoying bit was that we then had to spend 6 hours (until 4pm) waiting
around town and then return to the embassy to pick up the visa. Then there
was an unscheduled meeting at 4pm in the embassy and we had to wait for
another hour outside. (I think they were hanging up the halloween
decoration... ;-)

Again, many thanks for the feedback that I have received and I hope that my
story helps anyone reading through the swiss-list archives.

Regards
Cornelius