Re: swiss-list: J1 Visa

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 14:32:10 -0700

On Friday, October 25, 2002, at 02:49 AM, Louis Perrochon ((Lists))
wrote:
> PS: The DS-157 they have on the Web is probably illegal. The note of
> the
> paperwork reduction act (or whatever it is called) on the top right is
> expired.
> You are not required to fill in a government form if it is not
> approved by that
> agency that writes on the form how long it takes to fill it in. Anyone
> willing
> to challenge this?

\begin{flamebait} (Please respond to me personally only, not the list)
[any responses to the list will be posted to discussions_at_swiss-list.com
 instead, the moderator]
Hah! The glorious empire where we make our homes doesn't even respect
the CONSTITUTIONAL rights of some of its OWN citizens (e.g. Jose
Padilla), why should it bother respecting a mere LAW in dealing with
ALIENS?
\end{flamebait}

On a legalistic note, no government is required to issue a visa to
anybody either, so I don't think an applicant has much of a case there.

> Anyway, it took me hours to fill it in, they want a list of
> all the countries you visited in the last 10 years, all education, many
> organizations you belonged to, etc. Good all schools in CH now have
> Webpages,
> so you can find their address.

To be fair, I did not know about the form in advance, had to fill it in
on the fly, and consequently was unable to provide many of the
addresses and phone numbers. Nobody remarked on it & I got my visa
approved anyway.

Matthias