Re: swiss-list: J1 Visa

From: Matthias Neeracher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 17:32:00 -0700

On Thursday, October 24, 2002, at 01:50 PM, Philippe Ferrara wrote:
> I need to renew my J1 visa which has expired.
> It is probably straightforward,
> but I want to make sure I don't forget anything.
>
> Is it still possible to go the US Embassy in Bern
> in the morning and to get the visa in the afternoon?

Yes, worked fine for us this summer (in fact we got the visa before
noon, the processing was somewhat faster).

> Do I need an appointment to go there?

No.

> Do I need a letter from my employer, other than
> the IAP-66?

The two issues that you should know about is:

- visa fees have gone up quite a bit.
- As a male between 16 and 45 (I'm not making this up, this is both
gender and age discrimination), you'll have to fill in a new form
DS-157 which is a real hassle, as it asks for information you might not
have on hand in Bern (Address & Phone of every educational institution
you have attended). The form can be downloaded at

        http://www.us-embassy.ch/Consular/updates/Visadelays.htm

Matthias