swiss-list: Impertinent Question? Was:REBRAIN?

From: John Swartz <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:53:50 -0400

Good afternoon,

I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, or too far off topic. I'm not
really the main audience for this list, and so I hesitate to speak up
at all, I hope I give no offense. I'm an American who is very
interested in Switzerland, and since there doesn't seem to be (please
correct me if I'm wrong) a list for Americans interested in or
living in Switzerland, I lurk on this list instead.

I've just followed the link to Swiss info, and read the anti- Brain
Drain article, then started skimming through the rest of the site.

I came across this remark:

>Expo.02 was a national exhibition that wished to be neither an
>exhibition nor national," he told swissinfo, "and if there's one
>thing that sums up the Swiss today, it's their desire not to be too
>Swiss."

If anyone cares to take the time to do a little international
cultural education, I'd really like to have this remark explained to
me. Is he being sarcastic? Rueful? Serious? I'm afraid I lack
context...

I'd also like to hear any suggestions for learning about Swiss
culture, outlook, etc. in a general way, web sites, discussion
groups, books etc.

Thanks.... I'll go back to lurking now.

John Swartz