Re: swiss-list: Taxes for green card holders residing temporarily outside the US

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 10:29:20 +0200

Dorothea,

It seems you are asking two separate questions: an INS question (can I keep
my Green Card?) and a tax question.

As per the INS question, I don't know. As usual, an immigration attorney
might be useful, or the American Embassy in Bern (in my experience, INS in
the US is difficult to deal with when it comes to getting some basic piece
of information).

As per the tax question, I would recommend you talk to someone in
Switzerland, who knows about american tax laws. You probably have a much
better chance at finding someone competent. If you need such person, there
is an american accountant I have been dealing with since we have been back.
He is based in Geneva and I have always found him very good. If you (or
others) are interested, let me know, and I will give you his contact info.

Cheers,

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet                                          piguet_at_yahoo.com
Rte de Chanivaz 4                                Mobile: +41-79-310-3249