RE: swiss-list: Social security vs. IV/AI

From: Louis Perrochon \(Lists\) <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 10:37:49 -0400

US Social security is more than just retirement.

It is retirement, disability, family (which means, if you qualify, your family
qualifies, too, i.e. you get more if you have a family than if you are single,
up to 50% for each more), survivors (in case you die), and medicare (kind of
dealt with separately).

Now, remember, the US SS is still worse than the US. Survivor benefits in my
case is 1045 each for wife and daughter.... Given the state of SS in both
countries, better start saving now. IMHO, SS is just the icing on your
retirement cake.

And yes, I got some money back that I paid when on a J-1. Of course, these
years now don't count :-(. You need 40 "credits" to qualify for retirement
benefits in the US. You can get up to 4/year, thus the 10 years. But note, that
if you earn less than $3480/year, you will get less than 4 credits that year.

Louis