swiss-list: International calls to mobile phones

From: Darius Somary <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:41:56 -0700

Dear Swiss-listers:

I am aware that the topic of low international phone rates has already been
discussed on several occasions. However, most of the previous discussions
pertained primarily to making land line to land line calls. Since most of
my family and friends in CH, UK and F are on MOBILE PHONES I'm still
searching for a reliable and low cost solution for calling them on their
MOBILE PHONES - either from my home phone or cell phone. Calling mobile
phones in Europe is generally much more expensive than calling land lines.

The two best carriers I've found for calling Swiss Natels are:

1.) AccuLinQ at $0.169 when calling from a land line, resp. $0.21 when
calling from a cell phone, with a $1 monthly usage
fee. http://cognigen.net/acculinq/?dms

2.) GFI with $0.262 for calls to Swiss Natels with no fees or minimal billing.
http://www.phone-bill-busters.com/gfi.htm

I'm curious to know what others in my situation are using: pre-paid,
post-paid, dial-around, callback? All I care about is an easy way of
calling from any type of phone line (land line or cell phone) to any mobile
phone in Europe, without having to worry about connecting fees, monthly
minimum, network access fees, etc. Whether I can save half a cent here or
there is not really an issue.

Thanks for your feedback. __darius