Re: swiss-list: Social security vs. IV/AI

From: Vladimir Bossicard <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 16:05:11 -0700

>>... My advice is, ..., don't kill yourself with double taxes!
>>There are much safer ways of investing your money!
>
> Don't forget, a really good thing about our social security system in
> Switzerland is not only the retirement part of it, but also its disability
> insurance!

No, we won't begin the "greatest social security on earth" discussion! :-)

The issue here is not to compare the Swiss and US systems; we are all
aware of the advantages of the Swiss sytem (and its lacks when compared
with e.g. Sweden). The issue here is to decide if it's worth paying for
the Swiss social security insurance when you are already paying for the
US social security.

- if you pay the Swiss SS, it's 11% of your income (+ some fees)
- if you don't pay, you loose 2,25% for each year
Do the math.

I don't balance these numbers with benefits (like AI) and it's up to you
to incorporate these benefits into your calculation.

-Vladimir

--
Vladimir Bossicard
www.bossicard.com