RE: swiss-list: Social security vs. IV/AI

From: Philippe Passeraub <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 09:58:33 -0400

> ... My advice is, ..., don't kill yourself with double taxes!
> There are much safer ways of investing your money!

Don't forget, a really good thing about our social security system in
Switzerland is not only the retirement part of it, but also its disability
insurance! While it is still easy to postpone our worries of a situation in
our life that is to happen in 30-40 years from now, and to forget about the
legacy of our grandparents who started AHV-IV/AVS-AI, disabilities
especially caused by a disease can concern anyone of us (incl. our family)
at anytime. From my experience compared to the experience of american
friends who are like me concerned by disabilities in the family (i.e. a
disabled child), our swiss IV/AI system is really great and worth to have
and to keep. Just 2 of many possible examples: The IV/AI is paying for the
thousands of dollars in special equipment that are needed (e.g. wheelchair)
and for the expensive drugs which are only partially reimbursed in most
cases by health insurances in USA. Our american friends don't get the same
support from any insurance. The consequences of this situation on their
budget or on the quality of life of the disabled is of no fun at all.

Does anyone know of any insurance system in the US similar to IV/AI?

Thank you and have a good day,

Philippe