RE: swiss-list: Social security

From: Marc A. Viredaz <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:57:04 -0700 (PDT)

> What they should have done was before they left Switzerland, apply to
> the Swiss government an election to continue to pay the Swiss social
> security while they work abroad (this is called the "Totalization
> Agreement"). The Swiss government would provide a certificate as a
> proof of approval. They can then give the U.S. employer this
> certificate and be exempt from U.S. social security & Medicare taxes.
> Of course, the foreign nationals would have to figure out how to pay the
> Swiss social taxes while they were in the U.S."

I looked into this before moving to the US. In order to pay the swiss
social security, you have to pay your part plus the employer's part,
which totals to 11%. Everyone's advise to me was that this solution
is only worth for small salaries. Even for medium salaries, you are
better off investing 11% of your salary than to pay the swiss social
security taxes.

Make a few calculation and figure out what is best for yourself depending
on your salary ...

Marc