swiss-list: Social security

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 23:40:52 GMT

Hi everyone

in a recent discussion we came across the topic of Social Security / Medicare
and what happens with all the payments we (as foreigners) make to the Social
Security. Unfortunately no one knew the exact answers to the following
questions:

Are we eligible as foreigners to receive Social security here in the US if
1) we still live here at the time of retirement
2) live in CH at the time of retirement ?

Is there any way we could get any of the money back if we return home to Switzerland ?

Any comment or links to info is wellcome.

Michael