Re: swiss-list: 2-years rule

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 03:12:18 -0400

If the J-1 visa issued in the country other than the country of citizenship,
for INS one is a resident of the country where the visa was issued regardless
of his/her citizenship. An explanation given once by the INS. I did not try to
explore this statement any further.

My visa was issued in Switzerland with a subject to 2-year rule stamp. Not
being swiss, I went through the same situation. No wonder, I had to apply for
2-year rule waiver from the swiss embassy in US. That was the only way out. On
the bright side, it took INS only 3 weeks to process it in September of 1999.

It should not be a problem to get the waiver as a far the person in question is
not a citizen of the country giving the waiver. However, time it might take is
a different issue.

Good luck, Artem