swiss-list: Taxes

From: Lutz Noe <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 21:17:57 +0200

Hello, my name is Noé Lutz.
I am a Swiss computer scientist and am planning
to live and work in the Boston area (Cambridge) next year (2002). I will
arrive in September with a J1 Visa and plan to return to Switzerland for
summer 2003. The primary goal of my visit is to improve my English language
skills and to gain experience in the American computer science
industry. Based on my ongoing job searching, I expect to earn
approximately $30,000.00 during my year in the US. My question is
concerning the taxes that I will have to pay as an employee in Boston. Is
there a way to continue to pay my taxes in Switzerland rather than in the
US with the J1 visa? If not, approximately what fraction of my salary
should I plan to pay in US taxes? Are there any other monthly or annual
federal or state expenses that I should be considering? Also, can you
please explain what components make up "taxes"? How does this system
compare with the Swiss system?
Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you.
Sincerely, Noé Lutz

Meilleures salutations
Noé Lutz
nlutz_at_vianetworks.ch
VIA NET.WORKS (Suisse) SA
Internet, E-Commerce, Réseaux, IP-Security, Hosting
Microsoft Certified Partner & Citrix-Partner
Rue St-Pierre 1, CH-1700 Fribourg, Switzerland
Tel: +41 26 347 20 40 / Fax: +41 26 347 20 49
http://www.vianetworks.ch, mailto:
Local Touch ... Global Reach