Re: swiss-list: brain drain / jobsearch

From: Nicole Hillbrecht <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 11:39:06 -0700

> Is nobody in
> computer field in California??? So I also wander if so many people want
> really to return here and are they really ready to have swiss conditions
> when I am talking about salary and repsonsabilities and environnement.I
> was 2 years in CA and it is another world in terms of working I think

As I lie in my bed with a heavy flue and my laptop on my knees momentarily,
let me tell you, there are people in the computer field in California. :-)

When I finished my computer sciences studies in Switzerland about something
more than a year ago, the market was so great, that companies would come to
our school and introduce themselves to get some of us working for them.

It is not anymore - not even in the computer field. Maybe that is also a
point one should consider when swearing about head hunters. After what I
saw, our company was one of the only software developing company in
Switzerland increasing the software engineering staff instead of decreasing
it. Also our salary is not growing endlessly anymore - we can be satisfied
if it does not go down.

Who would ever have thought that a year or two ago?

I can only speak for the computer field - but my guess is, that it's similar
in other science professions as well. This is of course not an excuse for
the bad behavior of some head hunters, but may be a reason why head hunters
in Switzerland are not as interested as they used to be.

Btw: In the USA, actually, some of the head hunters who used to be
specialized in finding computer people, changed now to be specialized in
finding teachers and health personnel, not doctors, but nurses.

Nicole

Nicole Hillbrecht
headwire
25006 crystal circle