Re: swiss-list: brain drain / jobsearch

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:28:08 -0700

Hi

I can share your pain. After four more or less frustrating years of
Postdoc, a decent CV, some post-graduate education at Northwestern
University and four independent fellowships on my behalf I decided to
switch from an academic career to industrial life. I was undecided on
whether to return home to CH or stay in the US so I started looking for
positions in both parts of the universe. I sent applications to four major
companies in CH (Novartis, Roche, Nestle, Berna) as well as consulting
companies in CH. I also applied to 8 positions here in the US. Guess what?
>From all the applications I sent to Switzerland I only got one response
from a consulting company asking for copies of my grades dating back to my
days at the Gymnasium (which I did not have with me so I explained that to
them and that was the last thing I ever heard from them, too). None of the
other companies did even confirm the receipt of my CV and my application.
In contrast, all US companies sent me an e-mail or a postcard confirming
the receipt of my application. From the 8 applications I got 4 interviews
(all expense paid trips) and job offers. Now guess why I decided to stay in
the US.

Sorry, but when I hear CH officials complain about brain drain I can only
laugh. Yeah, you are right, but ...the industry does not want us back, at
least this is my impression.

Michael P Rudolf, PhD.
Scientist II, Tumor Immunology
IDEC Pharmaceuticals Corp