swiss-list: brain drain / jobsearch

From: Nico Ghilardi <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 22:45:21 -0700

Hi everyone,

I was wondering whether anyone shares my experience so far searching for
a job, and also just wanted to start a discussion regarding the
"returning to Switzerland" issue.

I am a molecular biologist with a reasonable CV, and I recently put it
on monster.com and sent it to two Swiss headhunters. Specifically, I
applied for a job with one of the hunters, with the other one I said I
was interested in talking about opportunities. The second one confirmed
that he got the CV and promised to get back to me, while the first one
did only admit that he got my CV after repeated inquiries, and I haven't
heard since from both of them. It's now been more than two weeks.

On the other hand, I get calls from American headhunters almost daily,
which shows that I cannot be that uninteresting after all. They even
write emails during weekends, and turnaround time is usually less than
24 hours.

I think it would be a matter of politeness to at least get back to
someone who sends a CV, even though there may not be many open jobs at
the time. Aren't the Swiss interested in bringing people with experience
from abroad back? How are we going to countersteer the brain drain if
not by aggressively recruiting people back to Switzerland? Are the Swiss
really so much slower than the Americans? Or did I just pick the wrong
headhunters? What are your experiences? Do you know good headhunters to
work with?

cheers
Nico

--