Re: swiss-list: Greencard processing

From: Bela Ban <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 14:28:39 -0700

Stefan,

I know that if you file for Adjustment of Status, you actually own the petition.
That means if you lose your job, you can stay in the country, keep your I-485 and
continue to work for another company. Your green card processing won't be
interrupted.

However, if you decide to go for Consular Processing, your green card process will
be killed if you lose your sponsor, because you don't own the petition.

I did CP in Swizterland last year, and from I-140 approval to getting the stamp in
my passport it took ca. 8 weeks. The US Consulate in Switzerland seems to be
really efficient (However I think I was just lucky, and this was an exception, not
the rule).

I'd go for Adjustment of Status.

My 2 cents, good luck !

--