swiss-list: Greencard processing

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 2002 20:53:35 GMT

Dear Swiss-List,

I have a greencard related question :
I am Swiss and started to work in the US on a H1-B about 3 years ago at a
high-tech start-up in FL. The company was willing to sponsor my greencard.
Recently my I-140 has been approved.

As founding is getting low, there is a chance that the company might shut down
within the next few months.

The company is telling me that I have now to choose to have the
greencard-processing done either in Switzerland or at the Texas Service Center.
There seems to be a very significant difference on those 2 ways :

The company proposes that I do the processing in Texas, which is much slower
(about another 2 years !) but will not be interrupted in case I would loose my
job. Processing in Switzerland would be much faster (2-3 months), but if I do
loose my current job within this timeframe, the whole greencard application
would need to start from zero again.

1.) I was wondering if somebody can confirm that those 2 ways exist and the
information I got is accurate.

2.) Does anybody have an idea how I could do the processing fast, but not run
into the risk of loosing all the greencard work in case I get laid off ?

Thank you very much
Stefan Haenggi
Melbourne FL