Re: swiss-list: B1 visa and reentry

From: Laurent Piguet <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 09:55:50 +0200

I would be careful... From personal experience, I know INS officials are a
bit inquisitive when faced with re-entries and they do start asking a lot
of questions. Then, the actual outcome may depend on the official you get.
I have had a particularly bad experience when coming back from a vacation
in Jamaica we took just about 10 days after I had initially entered the
US... Of course, it didn't help that it was another city I was entering
into, which made them VERY suspicious...

In any case, it doesn't seem like you have much choice. Again from
experience, the INS REALLY doesn't like it when people stay with an expired
visa. This came to haunt me during the interview for my green card.

So, I would simply recommend you don't lie, don't cheat. Have your
girlfriend go back and re-enter. Just try to play your cards right: make
sure she has a roundtrip ticket, maybe a proof of sufficient funds to live
in the US without having to work, and ... a clear conscience (helps a lot
when you talk to the INS officials :)

Good luck,

Laurent

--
Laurent Piguet                                          piguet_at_yahoo.com
Rte de Buchillon 5                               Mobile: +41-79-310-3249