swiss-list: IRS collects transaction records from Swiss Credit Card Issuers

From: Bruno Kaiser <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 23:11:20 -0800

Dear all,

Source: San Jose Mercury News, 3/26/2002,
http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/2935283.htm?template=contentModules/printstory.jsp

Obviously, IRS is forcing access to three years of spending records from
the big credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Amex).
In the current Visa-Case, the transactions have to be collected from "30
tax-haven nations, including Switzerland".
I'm not a lawyer, but in my opinion this IRS policy is ignoring Swiss
laws such as 'Bankgeheimnis' and Data Protection Law
(Datenschutz-Gesetz), because this constitutes a data export into a
country with minor data protection laws, namely the US.
IMO such a policy is unprecedented and very concerning - just imagine
any other government to impose something similar onto the US.

Therefore, I asked the Swiss Federal Data Protection Commissioner (Eidg.
Datenschutzbeauftragter) for more details. I guess, some lobbying
wouldn't hurt at all ;-). Their website is
http://www.edsb.ch/e/ueberuns/edsb/index.htm and they can be contacted
by email at mailto:info_at_edsb.ch . And maybe the Swiss press would like
the story as well...

Best regards,
Bruno