swiss-list: Interested in importing a VW Westfalia Camper from CH to CA

From: Vinz Koller <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 17:14:13 -0800

Hello folks,

Here is another car import related question. I am interested in importing a
1997 or newer VW Westfalia camper from CH to California. Since 1993 the camper
version for VW buses that is available here in the US is a Winnebago
conversion. Not nearly as well done as the Westfalias. Since I am a permanent
resident here I was wondering if anyone had any experience doing this kind of
import. It is my understanding that the emission controls here in CA are the
same as in CH but I am not sure about that. Are there other nasty tariffs or
taxes that I might have to deal with?

Vinz Koller