swiss-list: gas now, water next?

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:06:31 -0800

Hey Mona,
One thing I learned from a great book I read long ago called: "How to Lie
with Statistics":
(long URL may need to be reconstructed in your browser:)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0393310728/qid=1014935484/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_7_1/102-1810006-7735361

..is that you can work the numbers to say anything you want, especially if
you find creative ways to get facts ... like polling for broad US opinion by
only polling in Berkeley :-)

I'm not sure where Mona gets the 500 000 Iraqi children statistic (she
failed to tell us), but she may be surprised to know that Americans kill far
more children here in the US every year in abortions:
    Year Total
1996 1,365,700
1995 1,363,700
1994 1,431,000
1993 1,500,000
1992 1,528,900
1991 1,556,500
1990 1,608,600
1988 1,590,800
1985 1,588,600
1980 1,553,900
1973 774,600
40 MILLION ABORTIONS SINCE 1973
4,000 each day
Source: Ohiolife.org
found at:
http://www.abortiontv.com/AbortionStatistics.htm (pro-life)
via google search
see also:
http://www.agi-usa.org/pubs/archives/nr_roe.html (pro-choice)
http://www.ohiolife.org/infant/index.asp (pro-life)
I tried to get statistics from a Pro-Choice page, but there were none, just
warning to not listen to statistics from those who have them:
http://www.choiceusa.org/facts/qa.php (pro-choice)

Note that I am not revealing my personal opinion about abortion here, nor am
I trying to start a new discussion. It's irrelevant to this discussion.
What is relevant is that obviously pro/anti-abortionists manipulate
statistics and wording for their respective agendas. I'm just challenging
Mona to question and reveal her sources when she makes claims ... and that
all statistics are to be taken with a grain of salt since they are often
used to make or justify political objectives.

I see that Mona writes from MIT.edu so I am certain that she already is
fully aware of statistical game playing, citing your sources and questioning
them.

It's always fun to put things in perspective. It seems like people around
here in USA and in Europe are going bonkers about buying bottled water. Did
you ever realize that if you get bottled water in retail shops in those
sports bottles that it costs more per gallon than automobile gasoline? Now
that's something to worry about in our collective future seeing that we kill
500 000 children to drive the price of gas down. We already see sabers
rattling in various countries (like Turkey) over water rights. Go figure.
Humans are humans and there are lots of us out there who chose love over
violence, but it's not always an easy road. If someone raped and killed
your mom or your child while you were forced to watch, I'll bet most people
would "lose focus" on love and snap to feelings of violence and revenge.

This discussion could quickly digress into philosophy and religion.....
(irregardless of CH or USA)

-chris