RE: swiss-list: greatest planet in the universe

From: Jan Michael Kubr <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:53:35 -0800

I'll put this down in snippets since there isn't a unifying theme to the
things I'd like to say:

Opinions
I think everyone is entitled to speak their minds here, however right or
wrong you think they may be. There is no reason for us to shut up just
because our history isn't the spotless (holocaust bank accounts, women
suffrage, etc). In that case noone could speak, not even the Vatican (or
especially not the Vatican, in certain opinions). Also, just because we
are foreigners we shouldn't say anything? Wrong! We do have a unique
perspective that deserves to be heard. Most Americans aren't even aware
of what the rest of the world considers to be major failings of US
policy and we are in a unique position to let them know. Self-sensorship
is the greatest disservice you can do to your host nation.

US policy
US foreign policy would drive any sane person crazy. Sanctions on Iraq
that kill, according to UN reports, 5000 children a month, the
overthrowing of a number of legitimate democratic governments, as
mentioned in Chile and Nicaragua, as well as Iran, the unquestioning
support for Israel, the aid to Egypt (anything but a democratic
government) and the continued sanctions against Cuba (a poll showed that
Americans favored the lifting of sanctions by a 6:4 margin) are just a
few of the issues. Unfortunately, most Americans do not have the
faintest idea what their government is doing. On the other hand, I have
met a large number of Americans that completely agree with my views on
US policy. Now whether this is due to my living in Berkeley is
debateable, nonetheless it is true.
Here comes the kicker though: Look at what the US did after World War 2:
The Marshall plan is responsible for resurrecting a war-ravaged Europe
and creating one of the most powerful economic as well as democratic
regions in the world. The same can be said of Japan. From the most
brilliant, altruistic (pumping millions of dollars into destroyed
countries) and self serving (creating huge markets for American goods)
foreign policy, we've come to this: the destruction of democracies and
the hatching of its own worst enemies (Iraq, Iran, Osama Bin Laden).

Greatest Nation in the World?
Sort of depends on your criteria doesn't it. ;-)
Military and culturally it is without doubt the US.
However, homeless on the street just doesn't fit the image of a greatest
nation of the world does it.
So another criterium could be standard of living (for the population as
a whole). I think many Skandinavian countries, Switzerland, or perhaps
Canada have a shot at this one.
When your criteria are cheese and chocolate though, we have a hands-down
winner: Switzerland!

Anyways, for those that said they'd remove themselves from this list,
you are doing yourself a disservice. Different opinions can only enrich
your experience and knowledge.

Sincerely,

Jan Michael Kubr