RE: swiss-list: greatest planet in the universe

From: Michael Fellner 03 <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 14:04:28 -0500

Open minded Swiss, narrow minded US of A'ers

I have been born and raised in Switzerland and left in my twenties.
However, I am not a Swiss citizen and although one could not see or hear
that I wasn't native, sooner or later people found out. Subsequently every
time I disagreed with someone one anything political, supported for a team
(soccer, hokey etc.) other than the Swiss, the response was: "Gang doch hei
wänns der I de Schwiiz nöd passt." [trans. Go home if you don't like it
here.]

Since 1996 I live in the US, first on the west coast, now on the east coast.
I can count occasions I was told to "leave if I don't like it here" on one
hand, and obviously people can 'hear' I am not from the states...even if
they can't hear from where. I think that speaks for the "open mindedness"
of the people here in the states, at last the ones I encountered so fare.

So much for the:
>"Is this open minded? Live our way or go home? Be our opinion or leave?
>I don't think so."
comment.

I think someone from Switzerland calling the people in the US "narrow
minded" because they invite you to leave if you don't share their opinions
is hypocritical...