RE: swiss-list: greatest country on earth

From: Haefliger, Juerg <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 08:39:23 -0800

dear martha,
don't leave the list, please. it would be actually great to have an
american who shares her thoughts and feelings. see, complaining and
critisizing is a Swiss/European thing and I think it's a major part of
how and who we are and how our society works and evolvs. for every new
law or proposal you'll find at least as many people who are against it
and they will not hesitate to tell the rest of the country. we don't
believe in everything what the news or the politicians are telling us
and are basically questioning everything unlike some of our fellow
american friends (at least some of those I met so far).
true, there were some messages during this discussion that don't deserve
an answer at all, ignore them. but don't back off just because we are
criticizing. join the discussion and tell us what we see wrong and how
you think it truely is.
also true, I came here because of the great job offer. I'll profit from
it but on the other hand I'm also contributing to the american
economics, so it's not only me benefiting from the deal.
see, I decide to come here because I thought it's a great place to live.
I visited the US a couple of times before and really fell in love with
it. but unfortunately, it's a total different thing living here or
visiting as a tourist (you probably wouldn't love Switzerland/Europe
that much anymore after living there for a couple of months/years). all
of a sudden, you are part of a comunity which is totally different from
what you were used to in your home country. and of course you start
complaining about everything that is better back home in your personal
opinion. and of course there are a lot of things but on the other hand
there are also a lot of things that are better in the US. I came to the
point were I'm trying not to complain to much anymore but just take it
the way it is. I know I'm a guest in this country (which I'm being
thankfull for) and I can't expect my fellow americans to change the way
I think they need to be just because I don't like how they are. all I
can do is get them involved into a discussion and show them my point of
view and hope that they see that there is still plenty of room for
improvements. and that's what I'm asking you, join the discussion and
share your thoughts and feelings.

regards
..juerg