swiss-list: balanced views (vs risk becoming hated)

From: Chris Cavigioli <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 19:46:57 -0800

Thanks, Michael, for your appreciation of the USA as well as your
complaints. (e.g. balanced views)

We all have views and opinions of life and society in USA versus CH and
elsewhere.
That's fine.

My experience has taught me that there are always pros and cons.
Some things in USA are in the middle ages and some things are GREAT!
Some things in CH are in the middle ages and some things are GREAT!

My experience has taught me that when someone presents an unbalanced view
without acknowledging the pros/cons, that person "opens mouth and inserts
foot" (as they say in USA) and will come across as childish and immature ...
and can run the risk of creating hatred against themselves.

Human nature prefers to hear the comparisons as a comparisons of positives,
not as a comparison of negative complaints. Negative issues can be
expressed with humor or satire such that a human reader can better "swallow"
the bombshell.

Some respondants to your provocative, yet balanced, email have already
slandered themselves by falling into the trap of voicing legitimate, yet
unbalanced, negative, complaining views. What a shame for them.

Then, with mud on their faces, they ask for help with jobs, taxes, cars,
apartments ... ha! What irony.

-chris