Re: swiss-list: greatest country on the planet

From: Marianne Schmid Mast <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:27:18 +0000

Hi all,
Here is what I appreciate about the US in comparison to CH: people in
the US are so much more child friendly!

One of the main differences that I have grown to love is that people
talk to the kids directly, sometimes without even involving the parents.
This is so helpful, for instance, while waiting in line in the grocery
store. Our 15-months old son is usually entertained by at least two
people while I am packing the groceries on the belt!

And, high chairs in restaurants are readily available not to mention the
happy reactions when you announce that you are pregnant! Shall I get
started about day care and how "normal" it is for women in the US to get
on with their professional lifes WITH KIDS???!!!!

During our last visit in Switzerland we went to a coffee shop in the
afternoon, our son instantly grabbed the "stuff" on the table, the menu,
the menu holder etc. Immediately, the server came and wanted to take it
all away from him. I suggested to leave it on the table so that he has
something to play with (and we all know that keeping a then 13-months
old happy is essential if one does not appreciate a crying toddler). Her
response: "Well, OK but, in fact, this is not a toy...".... A true story
which elicits silent head shaking when told to an American.

Marianne Schmid Mast