swiss-list: greatest country on the planet

From: Hans-Jurg Jost <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 10:26:59 -0800

Dear Swiss-Lister,

Since this will be most likely a heated debate, I would like to start
a new thread with that topic. This will allow everyone to easily
filter it if they don't want to read all these personal opinions. If
you don't know how to set up filters yet, maybe this is a good time
to learn about it...... ;-)

Since people will be expressing their own opinion, I would like to
ask everybody to be polite (we always are ;-), not to flame (not even
privately), but instead voice their own view. Let's have a good
argument!

It started with a note "I extend to you a warm welcome to the
greatest country on this planet" by Werner Reisacher. Juerg
Haefliger disagreed with that. And a response by Michael Zurcher
mentioned some "but's". "It is a great place to live, but in many
areas, the US still lives in the middle ages (death penalty, beds,
roads, ignorance what is happening in the world, relying on a strong
military, etc.)."

So, in a typical postivie, American way, I declare that Switzerland
is the greatest country in the World. Who takes the challenge?

Happy debate,

Hansjürg