Re: swiss-list: Anticipated Tax in Switzerland

From: Werner Reisacher <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:00:20 -0800

Dear Marc,

If you plan to stay in the USA for more then 2 years, I strongly recommend that
you discuss your issues with a Swiss based tax lawyer who is familiar with
both, the Swiss and the US tax laws. There is one basic difference between the
two legislations. In Switzerland, tax rules and regulations fall under the
Commercial Code. The US tax rules and regulations fall under the Criminal Code.
In Switzerland, you risk financial penalties if you are not in compliance with
the tax rules. In the US, you risk jail.

If you plan an extended stay in the USA, you also have to plan for possible
consequences resulting from inheritance tax issues. If your will should not be
in line with your fiscal planning, somebody might face unpleasant surprises.

In any event, I wish you, dear Marc a safe trip to NYC and I extend to you a
warm welcome to the greatest country on this planet.

Best regards,

Werner