RE: swiss-list: Importing fondue?

From: Marc A. Viredaz <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 17:23:07 -0800 (PST)

> 2) Albertson's has something called 'Kirschwasser', an import from
> Germany which might be close to the Swiss Kirsch (don't know, never
> tried Kirschwasser) but they asked ~$10 for a 2dl bottle.

Do not buy Kirschwasser !! I made the mistake once when I first came
in the US. I went home, opened the bottle, smelled it and I knew
something was wrong. Then I read the label more carefully and
understood: Kirsch is an alcohol made from cherries while,
Kirschwasser is an neutral alcohol (made from grain, potatoes, or
whatever) which is then flavored with cherries !! Believe me they
taste very different. As stated in my previous message, both
Beverages & More and Beltramo's have REAL Kirsch (I have had both
Swiss and French Kirsch).

Enjoy
        Marc