Re: swiss-list: Importing fondue? NO: better solution

From: Antonello Nesci <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 15:49:00 -0800

Hi,

I'm Italian but always lived in Switzerland (close to the "Gruyere" region
where the fondue comes from), so I know what fondue is. When I read such of
email, I have to make comments:

At 01:24 AM 2/19/2002, Chris Cavigioli wrote:
>Hi Vuko,
>we now live in a world economy and you don't need to drag anything with you
>from Switzerland. You can just buy it all here. In fact, you can even
>microwave (!) this stuff. OK, I've never tried to microwave it, but to make
>it in a regular Swiss caqelon (sp?) is super easy, very quick ... and tastes
>as good as or better than the handmade fondue in Switzerland.

First. Go in Gruyere and say that microwave fondue is better than the in
caquelon!!! They'll kill you.

>If you are running low and people are still hungry, you can make more fondue
>by just taking the caqelon off the burner and put it on a stovetop burner
>and drop in another package and stir until it's all melted in, then return
>the fondue to the table burner. It can't be easier!
>
>One thing to note is that the package servings are very conservative. If
>you plan to eat a belly-full of fondue per person as the only course of the
>dinner, you should probably figure 1 such package PER PERSON. That is what
>seems to work in our family.
>
>visit: http://www.germandeli.com/swisfon.html to see a photo of the package.
>
>Also, "Alcool a bruler"/"Brandspirit" is "burning alcohol" or "rubbing
>alcohol" in English. It's easy to find.
>
>I have no idea what the Maicena ("fecule de mais" in french) is. Even a
>google search came up empty handed.

Second.
If Chris doesn't know what Mazena is, that means that he never made a fondue.

>-chris

Third.
The best way is as someone said, import some vacuumed-packed cheese fondue
mix from Switzerland (not Gerber please...) and don't mention it to the
customs.

Enjoy,
Antonello

Dr. Antonello Nesci