Re: swiss-list: Importing fondue?

From: Marc A. Viredaz <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 17:25:42 -0800 (PST)

Vuko,

> - Maicena ("fecule de mais" in french): can you find it
> in the US (Bay Area more precisely), say at Safeway?
> How is it called in english?

No problems. You'll find it at Safeway or in any other supermarket.
It's called "corn starch".

> - "Alcool a bruler"/"Brandspirit": what would be the
> english name to look for that? I guess you must be
> able to find it somehow in the US.

That seems tougher !! Even in Switzerland, they do not sell "Alcool a
bruler" burners anymore. However, if you want to switch to a modern
(and safer) paste burner, you can buy both the burner and the paste in
the US. I usually go to the Cheese Shop at the Town and Village in
Palo Alto (El Camino, just South of University Exit).

BTW, you can find descent Gruyere cheese in the Bay area (i.e., not
the Safeway kind). I recommend (1) Whole foods (there is one in Palo
Alto and one in Cupertino), and (2) The Milk Pail (just off San
Antonio in Mountain View, across from Safeway, next to Beverages &
More). Both will sometimes also have Vacherin Fribourgeois cheese,
but not alway :-(

For the Kirsh, I recommend Beverages & More or Beltramo's (El Camino,
Palo Alto). However, I suggest that you bring back a few bottle of
Swiss white wine. Beltramo's will sell you some Dezaley, but you'll
end up paying about $40.- a bottle !! In theory, you can only bring
back 1 liter of alcohol in the US. However, I always bring back 2 or
3 bottles, I always declare them on my custom declaration, and they
have always let me through without problems.

Enjoy
        Marc Viredaz