swiss-list: Swiss

From: Patrik Kunzler <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:39:31 -0500

(New York, in the evening, Bob calls his girlfriend)

-Hello darling, are you still up?
-Yes, Bob. Nice of you to call. What's up?
-Tomorrow I fly.
-I see. I hope you have a nice flight then. I fly swiss.
-What?
-Yeah, I have to go and meet some swiss business friends, so I fly swiss.
-Huh? What the hell have you been smoking?
-Nothing. What I mean is: I fly swiss to unique.
-WHAT? YOU FLY SWISS TO UNIQUE?
-Yeah... you know... the airport?
-Whatever. But you sound like you're confused, Bob.
-Hey. I just wanted to tell you that I fly tomorrow.
-First class?
-Not worth it.. To unique I fly swiss economy.
-WHAT!!!! YOU FLY SWISS ECONOMY TO UNIQUE?
-Yes.
-But I heard the swiss economy is in trouble.
-Not anymore. They have a new airline now.
-The swiss?
-No, swiss.
-Bob... You make me dizzy.
-Listen. Tomorrow I fly swiss economy to unique, back on Friday. Okay?
-But... this sounds like you've lost your mind.
-No I haven't. You see: The new name had to be unique.
-You mean the airport?
-No, the airline.
-What?
-The name of the airline had to be unique.
-But Bob... I thought that's the Zurich airport.
-What?
-Unique.
-I dunno. I guess the swiss are a little unique themselves.
-Don't offend the swiss, Bob. I have a friend who is swiss!
-Not quite correct. Before he was only swiss, but now he is an airline.
-Funny point. But... that airline used to be called swissair, right?
-Yes. But they cut off the air.
-Why?
-Because they don't fly anymore. So they don't need the air.
-I see. But does anybody understand this mess with all these names?
-Sure. They have good communication experts there.
-The swiss?
-No, actually it's a canadian who invented swiss.
-A CANADIAN INVENTED SWISS?
-Yes. But he lives in London and he bought an island in Sweden.
-You mean Switzerland?
-No, in Sweden. He bought an island in Sweden so he can live all alone.
-Alone? But why would he want to live completely alone on an island?
-Because of the swiss.
-You mean the airline?
-No, I mean Tyler Brule.
-Who is Tyler Brule?
-A designer.
-That explains it.
-What?
-The new name for the swiss airline.
-Yes, I think this might be a reason.
-But what will a pilot say when he meets another pilot: "I am from swiss"?
-Maybe he says he is swiss, and the other pilot thinks he is an airline..
-This sounds crazy. But thanks for the call Bob. Have nice flight tomrrow.
-Well, I hope they will really fly tomorrow. They are painting the planes.

Patrik Kunzler, M.D.
Center for Learning and Memory
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
40 Ames St. Bldg. E17-350