swiss-list: Swiss-List Discussions

From: Claudio Fleiner <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2002 19:30:48 GMT

Dear Swiss-List Email Subscriber,

there were quite a few email messages lately about Swiss Airlines, including
personal opinions. Some people got annoyed at the number of emails generated in
general, or at some emails in particular because they were not interested in
reading personal opinions. I've been asked (as the current moderator) why those
messages have not been stopped (as they could easily have been).

The swiss-list email list policy (available on our website) says:

        "for discussions regarding visas, taxes, pensions, AHV/AVS, news
        regarding Switzerland"

Considering that many of the subscribers have used Swissair in the past (check
the archives, there were several discussions last year about the grounding and
problems with tickets) this clearly falls under the "news regarding
Switzerland" category. Some people complained and even flamed posters privately
because they stated their own opinion. However, having an opinion and letting
people know about it is a necessity for a lively discussion and highly
encouraged! Trying to silence or intimidate people because they sent out an
email you do not agree with is not the way to go.

Obviously, if you are not interested in the emails regarding the Swiss Airline
a solution must be found. Here some suggestions:

1. depending on your email program you can filter all swiss-list emails and
   automatically file them in a special folder. You can either filter using the
   subject line (which will always include the string "swiss-list"), or the
   'Sender:' header (owner-swiss-list) or even the 'To:' and 'Cc:' line (look for
   swiss-list_at_swiss-list.com).

2. If there is enough demand I can create a digest version of the swiss-list.
   If you subscribe to the digest version you would only get at most one email
   per day with all emails attached to it. The disadvantage is that it makes it
   much harder to reply to an email (unless your email program knows how to
   deal with digests).

Greetings,

Claudio Fleiner

P.S.: in case you wonder: yes, I do occasionally block emails. Most of them fall
      under the category of spam, viruses, and emails that consist mostly of
      attachments (images, word documents). Once in a while I also redirect emails
      to another list were it is more appropriate (i.e. car sales go to regional
      lists, instructions how to import cars to Switzerland go the the main list).