swiss-list: what happens when "Swiss" is grounded

From: <click for textversion of email address >
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 14:13:42 -0800

Fellow compatriotes and Swiss lovers

unfortunately, I must chip in some negative thoughts here.

Why do we have to assume that Swiss will be a failure?

Consider these great circumstances:

1) no one is making money in the airline industry and this will probably stay
   like this for quite some time. The argument that the airline Swissair in the
   SAIR Group had been making money is not valid. If you want me to trust the
   kind of management information system they had there, then say good night at
   six o'clock.

2) We are now taking two loss making companies, with incompatible cultures, a
   lot of emotional conflicts, one without any middle management anymore (all
   fired) and, merge them into one organization, which is suddenly 3 times the
   size it was before and has to operate in a business it never operated before
   (i.e. intercontinental operations). The major shareholders are banks, and
   the federal government along with cantons and other public institutions,
   this is great for corporate governance! What kind of value proposition is
   that?

3) In addition, Swiss has about 150 options on regional jets and then some
   others on large jets while everybody else is parking their jets in the
   Arizona desert. I am glad I don't pay taxes in Switzerland.

4) The discussion on Basel vs. Zurich has shown: there are buenzlis all over
   the place and it will all end in a financial and operational disaster in 2
   years and increase the SVP share in the parliament considerably.

I loved Swissair and I hope nobody of you guys will ever consider working for
McKinsey in Zurich or Houston.

Regards

Ralf Kubli
New York, NY